Seleccionar página

Here you will find information about the types of cases we handle. We regularly reassess our case priorities to ensure we are providing the best service to our clients, so this list may not include all types of cases we handle. If you have any questions or think you need legal help, please do not hesitate to contact us. Non-criminal legal services for individuals who cannot afford a private lawyer are provided by SC Legal Services. Some of the types of legal services that may be available include: evictions, bankruptcies, health issues, education, mortgage foreclosures, Social Security disability, employment issues, some limited divorce and custody issues, food stamps, and social issues. Legal Services programs do not deal with criminal matters; If you have questions about criminal law, see Public Defence Services. Income, family size and special financial needs are taken into account in determining whether a person is eligible for legal aid. Legal services are free for eligible low-income individuals, but clients are required to pay court fees where possible. There are legal aid offices (also called legal counsel) in the United States. Legal aid organizations are non-profit organizations that provide free legal aid to people who cannot afford to hire a lawyer. While many legal aid centres only help people with very low incomes, some offices have more flexible income rules. This guide has been prepared for general information purposes only.

The information contained herein does not constitute legal advice. Legal advice depends on the particular circumstances of each situation. In addition, the law may vary from state to state. Some information in this guide may not be correct for your condition. To find local resources, visit and select your state. If you can`t afford a lawyer, Legal Aid may be able to help: this information was created to give you general information about the law. It is not legal advice on a particular issue. If you have any questions about the law, you should consult a lawyer.

If you don`t know a lawyer, you can call the South Carolina Bar Lawyer Referral Service weekdays between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. The number is 799-7100 in Richland or Lexington counties and 1-800-868-2284 in other parts of the state. Visit our free on-call and visitation clinic to learn how to file a lawsuit without a lawyer. You will also learn more about the tours. We will provide you with a set of legal forms and instructions, and you will watch an instructional video. A pro bono lawyer is available to answer general questions. To find a legal aid office near you: Go to www. and choose the state you live in to find out who in your state can help you solve your legal problem. I do not have legal immigration status. Can legal aid help me? Each legal aid agency has its own rules about who is eligible for its services. However, if you are a victim of violent crime or domestic violence, legal aid can certainly help protect you from domestic violence or abuse, even if you do not have legal immigration status.

If you are a victim of domestic violence, legal aid can also apply for immigration on your behalf. Some legal aid organizations specialize in a wide range of immigration law issues. Go to www. information on the rules applicable to legal aid offices in your area. Are there cases where legal aid is not being addressed? Legal aid in civil matters does not deal with cases of pecuniary damage, such as medical malpractice, car accidents or traffic offences or criminal cases. (For the difference between civil and criminal cases, see The differences between the criminal court and the civil court). What can I expect from a lawyer? Legal aid lawyers have the same qualifications as other lawyers. Everything you tell your lawyer is confidential, which means it will not be shared with anyone outside the legal aid office. Since everything you tell your lawyer is confidential, tell them the truth. Your lawyer can help you better if you tell him the truth. I am not eligible for legal aid, who can I go to for help? Looking for more information on this topic? Visit and select your state to find more self-help resources and information about free, low-cost legal aid providers in your area.

We do not handle criminal or civil cases on behalf of prisoners. We do not deal with personal or traffic cases. We do not handle divorce, alimony, spousal support and fair distribution cases except in exceptional circumstances (check out our free do-it-yourself divorce clinics). We do not process new claims for government benefits. We only handle immigration cases for survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault, as well as survivors of human trafficking and their family members. LawHelp Interactive helps you fill out legal forms. We help our clients retain the benefits to which they are legally entitled We provide low-income North Carolina residents with free legal assistance in civil cases involving basic human needs such as security, housing, income and more. You can also ask your local law society if they offer any of the following free services to people who need legal assistance: Many legal aid offices may be able to resolve other issues such as immigration, consumers, and disability issues.

Some legal aid centres focus on one area of law, such as disability law or housing law. Some legal aid offices receive funding from the government, which may limit the type of cases they can accept. If you have a civil law problem but can`t afford to hire a private lawyer, you can still access the legal system through your local legal advice and legal aid organization, which provides free or low-cost legal services to low-income people. Information on many of these local services can be found online at the websites listed below. Indebted? Need help managing your money? Do you understand your credit? Do you want to avoid identity theft? To learn more about your rights, click here. We help our clients retain their critical properties and assets We help North Carolinians live in safe and affordable housing To read all the guides in this series, visit or We help our clients find and maintain stable jobs and get the wages and benefits to which they are entitled. To find out if you qualify for assistance from SC Legal Services, call the Legal Aid Telephone Intake Service (LATIS) at 803-744-9430 in Richland or Lexington counties or 1-888-346-5592 in other parts of the state. We stand up for our clients against violence and sexual assault To contact your local bar association, visit the ABA website. Legal assistance to military personnel, veterans and their families.